Holy Trinity

The Church of the Holy Trinity is the parish church of Sigri.The building has three floors and was built as a mosque by Eresios Demiris on the initiative of Suleiman Pasha around 1760. The lower part of the building held a water tank which supplied the fortress, the port, the hammam, and public fountains. The building was repaired in 1870, probably after an earthquake.In 1923 Icons were brought by the refugees from Asia Minor from their village church in Houchlia (also called The Church of The Holy Trinity) and from the Monastery of Evangelistria, and in 1928 it was reconsecrated as a Christian church.The minaret was demolished later, in the 1950s, and a bell tower was built in 1997.